If you are a cord-cutter, you might have heard about Plex. In case if you are hearing about it for the first time, plex is a client media server. It allows the user to access the contents over the local network or via the internet. In simple terms, you can deploy your own network and stream content from anywhere. In this article, we will explain how to set up Plex on Roku.
Being a closed device, the usage is Roku is limited. And moreover, you can’t access the third party channels on Roku. In a situation like this, Plex comes handy. It helps you setup your ad-hoc network. And you can access the contents from this network anytime. Setting up a plex network is pretty easy.
But you need a supporting server in your network. You can use your PC or Laptop as a main server. And all the other device will act as a client.
How to set up Plex on Roku
How to set up Plex network
In this section, you will see how to set up Plex on Roku. Follow the below steps to set up a plex in 2 minutes.
- Log in to your Roku account. Or you can use this link to login.
- Hit on “Add Channel“.
- Now go to settings> System settings >System Update.
- Select check now to force update channels on Roku.
- Now you can enjoy all the channels on Roku.
The initial plex setup on Roku is completed. Now you need to configure an ad-hoc network with plex.
- Download the Plex media software and run on the main server (PC or Laptop).
- If you are a new user, create a Plex account. Or log in to your exixting account.
- Once you logged in to plex, a wizard will pop up.
- You can use that wizard to configure the Plex server and account.
- Make sure to check the “Launch plex media server at the end of installation”
- Your plex server will be running in the background.
- Now your server setup is completed.
In case if the plex server is not launched, you can use the below step to launch the application manually. It’s mandatory to run a plex server before installing the plex client app. Depending on the operating system you are using, the step may vary.
- Launch Plex on windows
- If you had selected the “Launch plex media server at the end of installation”, it might be running in the background.
- Or you can use the start menu to find the application.
- Launch Plex on Os X
- Navigate to the application folder.
- Double click on the plex media server.
- Launch Plex on Linux
- Open the terminal and run the following command.
sudo /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver start
These steps will run plex on the server. Make sure that the server is running. To be on the safer side, check the internet connection once. If all are set, you can proceed to the next step.
Setting up plex on Roku
Here Roku is our client, you had already installed Plex on Roku. Now launch plex on Roku and sign in to your account. You can access all the contents on the server. That it! setting up Plex on Roku is complete.
For better results, connect the server and client to the same network. You can also use this server as a remote server to access the contents from anywhere.
These are the steps to set up Plex on Roku. I hope the tutorial is clear. If you are facing any issue, do comment below. We would be glad to solve your issue.